Monday 16 November 2009

digging for treasure

I admit I am not the best gardner. My family all seem quite adept at gardening- my aunty and my mum have beautiful gardens. The talent seems to have  bypassed me, plants seem fated to die when they are brought into my home. I have one house plant which has been going for three years. It was doing well, I swear it was thriving for at least two years. Our lemon tree has been with us for two years and is a sickly little thing, that refuses to die, although it looks like it has. I try loving them, then ignoring them, feeding them, talking to them, but alas they do not tend to thrive. I have killed so many herb plants (oh, so many!). But continue to buy them with the dream of not having to buy herbs in the weekly shop.

I have however discovered a plant which seems not only easy to grow, but also fun. The humble potato! Some old potatoes were left outside to green and then planted in our little veggie patch. After three months some brand new potatoes were unburied. It was just like digging for gold!

So now, we have homegrown potatoes of various sizes to turn into a yummy meal.

Ah, sweet success, maybe I can be a good gardner after all. (I just won't mention that it was mum who planted the potatoes while I was in the hospital!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Denise. Those 'taters look yummy. My herb are dying too. The temp outside is 38 degrees. That plus the animals using the herb patch for a toilet, makes it very hard to grow anything. xxx