Friday 25 March 2011

time

Since becoming a parent the thing I miss most is time. Long uninterrupted moments of time. Being a mother is extremely rewarding and I wouldn't take it back for anything. I couldn't even think of anything I would rather do in the day the spend time with my family. However, sometimes in the whirlwind of family chaos, endless playing and a constant companion, I long for time. A whole day to do whatever I want- to slowly potter around a project. A whole night of sleep. All without the deadline of a babe awakening from a nap or in the middle of night for comfort. 

So I have decided to change my thinking. Instead of longing for more time I will appreciate those small pockets of uninterrupted time I do get. Artie playing with playdough alone for 7 minutes means I can have a cup of tea all to myself and flick through a magazine. Mostly, I am learning to appreciate the time Adam takes Artie to the park in the late afternoon after he gets home from work. Even though I am usually preparing dinner and quickly finishing those chores I didn't get to, it is quiet and peaceful and the light of the late afternoon always looks so lovely. So this week I am going to remember to make the most of those small pockets of time and my thoughtful husband. And I am also going to gently remind myself that one day (even if it ten years from now!) I will sleep through the night again and have long stretches of time, but Artie will only be this age once.

2 comments:

Ben and Corinne said...

Lovely...I love the new blog banner too- very cute!

Janine said...

A good way to think for all of us. xxx