Thursday 29 July 2010

Going with the flow

Some days everything feels just right in the world. I am full of energy, feel like a terrific wife and mother, the house is in order and the sun is shining. Then there are those other days. Today is one of those other days. The floor is a mess, covered in crumbs. The boy is nap-less. I am frayed. Today is the perfect day to remember to go with the flow. The clouds are out. Artie and I have decided to ditch any plans and all to-do lists and simply be. We are hanging around the house, looking for the sun and for peace in every room. 
I am also flicking through Buddhism for Mothers by Sarah Napthali. I read this before becoming a parent, well really I just skimmed it. I didn't really grasp just how relevant and insightful it is. I have reread it now many times. Some parts over and over. On days like today I will promise myself to try and remember this book. Because when I let go and go with the flow, a day like today can turn into a fantastic day. 

Living mindfully we feel happier; how could we not willingly let go of all preoccupations that keep us from noticing any joy in the present moment? We start to experience the 'here and now' more richly. 
-Sarah Napathali


{artwork by Arthur}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I please borrow that book? I think I need to read it too.xxx