Thursday 10 July 2008

A knitting bag

One thing about being an Art/Textiles teacher is that I am so often inspired and itching to create something for myself. However by the time I come home and do all the chores and extra work for school I feel to tired to do any creating. Yesterday having finally finished at Vacation Care, and having two glorious days to myself at home, I decided to whip something up to fulfill my need to create. It was a disaster! I tried to make a top, it was looking good for the first three steps and then disaster struck. The facing wasn't working for me and the instructions were confusing. I finished the day without any finished product and a whole lot of frustration.

So today I was determined. I decided to make something I knew I could do: a bag (I wonder how many bags I have sewn in my life? It must be a lot!). I have started knitting, I am not knitting anything in particular just a bunch of squares, but I love the rhythm and the bit of warmth it generates for my cold, cold hands on these freezing winter nights. Plus, a group of ladies at work are starting up a knitting group for next term which I am excited about. Therefore a bag to hold my knitting supplies was essential!
The fabric is all repurposed: A sheet and a tablecloth from an op-shop and some scraps from my Textiles classroom. It is a bit rough but it I love it none-the-less. The colours make me happy and it does the job.


It feels so good to have made something, now I can go back to chores and preparing for the beginning of school next week.

2 comments:

Ben and Corinne said...

Hey Nise,
That's a very cute bag...I love the material. I wish I could sew over here but my poor sewing machine is in a box somewhere and I'm not really keen to handsew all day long!
Love Corinne:)

Anonymous said...

Good work Nise. I wish I was there to help you with the top. All i have sewn lately is three pairs of cute undies for the dolls. Nothing worse than dolls without undies!! xxx