Monday 12 November 2007

a gorgeous weekend and some sewing

Before I get on to those wedding photos I promised, I want to share our weekend. Saturday AND Sunday at the beach. Warm weather, so warm, just perfect. The only way to describe the weather and give it justice is to use the word gorgeous.



Everything was sparkling.






And look what I made.



It is a beach blanket. I have a slight problem when we go to the beach: I get sand everywhere. And I mean everywhere, in my hair, my bathers, on my behind, arms, legs, face ( you get the picture). I decided the problem was that my towel was just not big enough to sit on. I also have a need to wrap myself up in my towel after a swim for warmth, which doesn't leave anything to sit on! So seeing there was a need I went about making a blanket perfect for the beach. I used some old towels thrifted from a op-shops for the top layer. I cut them up into squares and made a rough patchwork. The underneath layer is a second hand cotton tablecloth. I sewed the two layers together into a kind of giant pillowcase and then tied it off in a few different spots. It is by no means perfect. Some of the squares don't quite match up ( the towels stretched a lot more then I expected when I was sewing them) and the hand sewing is atrocious and not to be examined closely.


However for a beach blanket, it does the job quite well I think:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clever girl. It looks very good :)