Sunday 25 February 2007

A home filled with Alice


Here is a nook of my new home. These flamingoes sit in the corner of the dining room on the mantelpiece. It started as one flamingo that I stumbled on at an op-shop and quickly grew to three, after a generous person (thanks Mum!) realised my affection for the porcelain creature. I was drawn to flamingoes not only for their kitsch quality ( I did a whole photography piece on kitsch at university) but also because it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. For me Alice is one of those perfect stories. I spent much of my childhood trying to invent and draw crazy creatures and write stories that were filled with as much adventure and mythical, make-believe creatures as this story.


As you can see, coming from a family of collectors, I also have a few nice Alice books.
We were always being read to when we were young and I think it is such an important part of life.There are so many beautiful and fantastic ideas in the world and reading is the best exposure. Enid Blyton’s The Faraway Tree, was a favourite of ours to cuddle up at night and read as a family. The story brings back fond childhood memories of fantasy creatures and crazy worlds. So here is a nook in my home to remind me of all those wonderful feelings, crazy characters and the power of imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your "Alice" memoribilia. It's kitch but it's fun - and brings back sooooo many good memories. XOX